Monkey With a Typewriter
"...Look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty."
- Groucho Marx in Monkey Business, 1931
Thursday, November 25, 2004
I got two wonderful packages in the mail this week. One was a birthday box from my parents, whom I was very pleased and happy and ecstatic to visit in Wyoming on my trip cross country (thank you very much, so there.) and the other was from my favoritest author in the world, Chuck Palahniuk. How cool is this. Chuck is famous. I mean, borderline Stephen King famous. He used to answer fan mail all of the time, but now only opens his mailbag a few times per year. So I wrote him, thinking, maybe I'll get a letter back. I got a box containing a ton of cool stuff. An autographed book, and a whole bunch more! COOL! It's amazing to see someone who is probably as busy as all get out do something this nice for his fans. I've been to his readings before, and I know Chuck likes to go the extra mile, but I can only imagine that he's doing this for thousands of people. Wow. (If you email me, I'll tell you everything I got. It seems tawdry to post it here).
So now, I am going to bed and I will wake up tomorrow one year older, ready to fight the holiday crowds and to go to the zoo! MONKEYS!
I have to say that the end of this week has been so much better than the beginning, which was probably the most soul-crushing time I've had in a while. (I worked a 40+ hour work week. In three days.)
Sunday, November 21, 2004
Where on Earth did all of these heavy things come from?
So, I'm still in the process of lifting heavy things, but this time for a good cause. I helped my fiancee move cross country, and in the meanwhile many things happened, mostly good. Such as:
1. My fiancee lives in the same city with me now! (Wheeee!)
2. I got to eat at Twin Dragon for the first time in several YEARS. (GREAT!)
3. I drove across the country, but seem to have done all of the good parts in the dark. (Indifference)
4. I've gotten a few more rejection letters from agents. (Not good, but a learning experience)
5. George W. Bush got re-elected. (We'll see. But I'm thinking, not good)
6. I've learned that my apartment, although seeming clean to me, was actually quite dirty. (Good?)
7. I got an autographed Cerebus Comic Book. (So there!)
8. I got another parking ticket. (KILL)
9. I'm almost ready to begin a new book, and possibly a screenplay! (ooooo)
10. I inserted this to make the list reach ten. (TEN!)
So that's been me lately. More to come.